Saturday, May 14, 2011

Yoga in the Prison System "Developing Calmness"

Imagine a world where children are raised with Yoga! Imagine a world where parents focus on family values first, making meals together that come from their garden. If children were taught Yoga and Meditation from childhood, there would be very little crime, no disconnection between themselves and the surroundings of their environment. There is much to be done in changing our lives, how we perceive things, and letting go of what we "think" is best. We need to have community again. We need to face that we have real problems happening within our society that if we don't turn around now, more tragedy is only to come. I love that Yoga is entering the prison system. Again, I feel that if these men and woman had this in their lives to begin with, these crimes would not have occurred. Feeling lamented over your life choices is an unfortunate way to live. You can fight crime, disease, drugs, hunger, all of our worldly problems with "Developing Calmness" within us and our children. There is hope for us and our kids, we just have start somewhere! I am encouraged to help parents, children, educators, prisoners, whom ever is willing to make the difference! It takes time, I am still on my journey to calmness. It is a life commitment. Here are some testimonials of prisoners regarding Yoga and how it changed them. Some men expressed that they had been for years taking classes on anger management, therapy etc. Only until Yoga was introduced in their lives did their anger disappear. Happiness overwhelmed them. Mind, Body and Spirit! Namaste~
Testimonials / Quotes from Current and Former Prisoners

''Yoga and its emphasis on the power of a single breath has promoted for me a respect for life and a profound realization of the destructive force of violence.'' - S.L.''I have a strengthened identity with self and a sense of something universal. It has given me the ability to affect my own well being and peace without dependency upon someone else or chemical substance.'' - T.W.
''I have experienced decreased anxiety and improved ability to deal with stress. I have also been able to relieve back pain and in general manage pain and injuries.'' - S.L.
''I used drugs and alcohol for many years basically to kill the pain of my life. Yoga has helped clear my mind, deal with the pain, move into the present and just love myself and who I am.'' - J.B.
''I truly believe I have found a process (in yoga) to deal with my personal struggles without medicating. I have found a path to calming myself when faced with adversity, and quieting my mind to see the world from a different perspective.'' - P.U.
''I came in contact with yoga before I came to prison but always thought it was for hippies or older folks. But now that I have taken yoga, I feel less physical pain, I sleep better and I'm more at peace with myself.'' - D. W.''It was mainly because of the inner peace and trust that I have developed and nurtured through my Yoga practice that I was able to respond to a potential violent situation with calm.'' - B.B.

No comments:

Post a Comment